Thursday, March 17, 2005

The woman with the dog's eyes

Homer's "As I lay dying the woman with the dog's eyes would not close my eyelids for me as I descended into Hades" is transformed into "But she, that whore, she turned her back on me, well on my way to Death--she even lacked the heart to seal my eyes with her hand or close my jaws" in Robert Fagles' translation.



Anonymous said...

I was disappointed at Fagles' translation of this line. In my opinion, the word Hades should have been left in. Plus, the line "As I Lay Dying" is missed. It was the inspiration for Faulkner's "As I Lay Dying."


Dave said...

Me too, Leo, it always disappoints me to see how shallow the waters around the Odyssey can be. The woman with the dog eyes is just that: a woman whose eyes are large and sad but loving, accepting, trusting. She can't bear to see her lover go; can't be a part of his leaving, even though he is on the road to hell. Why does everything need to be a metaphor? I love your shoulders, your arms your lips. From just such ports sailed Homer's ships.