Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Book Meme

Staci tagged me for the latest book meme:

1. What is the total number of books owned, ever?

I made an attempt to count our books a few years back and I think it was close to 2,000 then. We've definitely not gone down in number since.

2. What is the last book you bought?

Thomas J. Schlereth's Victorian America: Transformations in Everyday Life, 1876-1915

3. What is the last book you read?

Last book I finished is noted in the sidebar. The last book I read from is Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything

4. Five books that mean a lot to me.

Ack! I hate trying to answer things like this. So, rather randomly, at the moment I'll say:

Anne Tyler's Searching for Caleb and Margaret Drabble's The Realms of Gold--two discoveries from my freshman year at college. I've read every novel written by them since (although I haven't gotten around to Drabble's latest yet).

Bartlett's Familiar Quotations. I guess I was in 8th or 9th grade when I got a copy of this. Remember how Beth Ellen Hansen used it in The Long Secret? I didn't do that. It was enough that it helped me not seem such the ignorant hillbilly from out in the county.

Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove. My copy is all black around the edges and I can't imagine anyone other than me wanting to touch it. My dad read it with his usual greasy hands at his machine shop and he loved Gus and Call as much as I did.

And two by E.C. Spykman: Terrible, Horrible Edie and Edie on the Warpath. Edith Cares got me through some bad times.

Anyone want to consider themselves tagged? I'm not sure who's done this one already.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...