Thursday, May 12, 2005

Eschew/The norm

I've read ten chapters in Emerson Among the Eccentrics, through the introductory chapter about Henry David Thoreau. In honor of reaching Thoreau, whom Emerson said was "content to live now, and feels no shame in not studying any profession, for he does not postpone his life but lives already," I present Maurice Sagoff's "Shrink Lits" entry for Thoreau:

Henry David Thoreau

Beyond
Mere goods,
The pond, the woods. . .;
Live there
As I,
And simplify.
Reflect:
What need?
And check your speed.
Eschew
The norm
(Dull minds conform);
Two years
Thus spent,
I up and went
More lives
To taste.
Walden was cased.

--from Literary Cavalcade, Jan2 003, Vol. 55, Issue 4

No comments:

Post a Comment

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...