Friday, December 08, 2006

Naturally. Now, when I have done nothing to prepare for the holidays except set my aunt Margaret's ceramic Christmas tree on the computer desk downstairs, Blogger says I can make the great switch over. But of course.

Will the process be brief, painless, at this point, or should I hold off until I have a chunk of time to spare?

~~~

I have taken Nick Hornby back off the shelf. He's causing me to mutter under my breath, but it's quick, easy reading and that's what I need right now.

And I did agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment expressed in this tidbit:

Is the phrase "Deliciously politically incorrect" used with the same gay abandon in the U.S.? You come across it all the time here, and usually it means, quite simply, that a book or a movie or a TV program is racist and/or sexist and/or homophobic; there is a certain kind of cultural commentator who mysteriously associates these prejudices with a Golden Age during which we were allowed to do lots of things that we are not allowed to do now. (The truth is that there's no one stopping them from doing anything. What they really object to is being recognized as the antisocial pigs they really are.)

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:47 PM

    Heh. Right on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:26 PM

    It took about 5 minutes when I switched to Beta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh. I decided I could spare five minutes, signed in, and was told mine wasn't a blog that could be changed at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew. More time consuming than I'd wanted it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just keep having to "Sign in using (my) google account" So I save my comment, click in, paste comment again, and I'm good for the day. OTHER than that, it's been ok, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:44 AM

    Susan--I like the new look of your blog! I only miss the top part where you list this months books! Sorry I jumped the gun on thinking you were done with your switchover! I worry about things too much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I should have completed the blog roll before I tinkered with anything else in the sidebar so that no one would worry I was leaving them out--esp. since the cat blogging roll further down loads as a unit and could make look as if I'd finished since I had all those blogs listed. But my husband and I have a bad habit of doing things to the point where we can see what they'll look like finished, and then moving on to something new, and I was having quite a fight to get the reading challenge buttons loaded--I still don't know what the problem was there.

    I'm still tinkering with the sidebar. Should I move latest posts/archives closer to the top? Will people be annoyed by not having the latest posts there to click on?

    And my son says it looked better with the old template anyway. . . I miss having the books at the top, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zhoen, I've been needing to go through the word verification twice for every post for several weeks now. I don't know what the deal is with comments.

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...