Thursday, April 12, 2007

Booking Through Thursday:

Have you ever missed an important appointment because you have become so engrossed in a book you forgot the time or were up so late reading that you didn't wake up in time? Been late to work because you couldn't resist the temptation and left the house too late?

Yes, although the first thing that sprang to mind when I read this question was this:

I missed watching the Preakness Stakes last May because I was reading David Mitchell's Black Swan Green. I looked up from the book to check the clock a half hour before it started, thought Good. I haven't missed it and went right back to the book. When I looked up again, an hour or more later, the Preakness was over and I had been spared seeing Barbaro break his leg.

8 comments:

  1. It's a running joke in our family that I always miss the Kentucky Derby. I enjoy watching it when I can, but inevitably I seem to lose track of time, or am not near a television, Something! But yes, I was glad I missed the Preakness last year, too....

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad! I'm glad you missed seeing that too. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always missing something because I'm reading--but usually nothing earth-shaking, or newsmaking, like last year's Preakness. Did you like Black Swan Green? I was thinking about getting it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did like Black Swan Green very much. It made my favorites list at the end of the year. It wasn't a blow-your-mind book like Cloud Atlas was, but then, I don't think it was supposed to be.

    If you like books told from the perspective of adolescent males, then I'd say go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have burned supper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not yet.
    I have not ever missed an appointment because of reading.
    I have just WANTED appointments to not exist, so that I could keep reading.
    As Nancy says though, I have incinerated a lot of suppers in the oven while being so engrossed in a book that I turned the timer off, and just went back to reading....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was so busy reading, I missed Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction, and I was right there in front of the TV. Maybe I should look upon that as a time that reading saved me, in a sense. But it's still a little irritating to miss out on something in popular culture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've also experience d that question "Since it is only half an hour 'til my alarm goes off anyway should I really bother sleeping now?"***CV

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...