Sunday, September 30, 2007

October's Reading Stack

Is it possible that I went a month without making any headway in either Tristram Shandy or The Three Roosevelts? Why yes, it's perfectly possible. I last opened the biography to counter a social security chain email reeking of misinformation that my aunt sent me at the beginning of September and I'm not really sure where the Sterne is. I need to devote some serious attention to Mr. Shandy this month once I find him or call the relationship quits.

In addition to those, I'd like to read from the stack below.




I must complete the R.I.P. Challenge this month--Ann Radcliffe's The Italian and Henry James' The Turn of the Screw.

Margaret Drabble's The Sea Lady, Richard Russo's Bridge of Sighs and Andromeda Romano-Lax's The Spanish Bow are all carry overs from last month.

Since I've just finished (as of last night) my reread of Rebecca West's The Fountain Overflows, (first encountered in June of 1999, read between Alice Thomas Ellis' Fairy Tale and Willa Cather's O Pioneers!), I'd like to reread Christina Stead's The Man Who Loved Children, which I read 12 years ago. I remember that there were similarities, and the Andrea Barrett introduction mentions that West liked the Stead, but not much more than that.

Library books--George Hagen's Tom Bedlam and D.H. Lawrence's The Rainbow.

And another review book, Cai Emmons' The Stylist.

6 comments:

  1. That's a very pretty stack of books. I just gave up on Bleak House - I'd had it checked out from the library for about three months and finally decided that it just wasn't going to happen.

    And in the past, I've also abandoned Tristram Shandy. If I should ever break both my legs, I vow to read all those dense, fat books during my convalescence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:44 PM

    For some reason I have a song running through my head: Just what makes that little old ant... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's called having eyes bigger than your stomach, if I recall my Laura Ingalls Wilder correctly. :)

    Mary, I have managed to make it all the way through Bleak House before--my fav. chapter was the spontaneous combustion one. But with Tristram Shandy. . . well, I like the concept of it a lot more than it in actuality. I can't stay focused on it at all. Maybe once he gets himself born . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know that the West and Stead novels were similar; that intrigues me, since I enjoyed West so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great book stack photo! Looks like you'll have a busy October.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I looke forward to reading your thoughts on The Italian! I'm wondering if I should try reading more Radcliffe.

    Also, I hope you enjoy The Spanish Bow - I read it a few months ago and it's really good!

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...