Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketConsidering that I turn into a zombie-brain by 9 most evenings, considering that I've never managed to pull an all-nighter in my life, I cannot explain why I find Dewey's 24-hour Read-a-thon slated for Oct. 20 so appealing.

I rarely read for more than two or three hours at a time. In fact, I often work my way through a book in handful-of-pages (or, if I'm reading at work, mere paragraph) increments. To be left alone to careen through a book without stopping seems downright decadent.

I could read on the treadmill. I could read while eating meals prepared by someone else. I could, of course, read in my favorite chair with my book propped on the cat in my lap. What I don't know if if I could find myself conscious and coherent during those late-night hours.

And I could find myself wishing I were scrubbing bird cages or mopping the kitchen floor, long before my brain actually shuts down for the night, but have I mentioned that Dewey's put together a cheerleading squad? Imagine having a You Go, Girl chorus to keep you focused on the task.

No doubt I'll go down to the wire before deciding to commit (a lot will depend on how bad the migraines are that week), but I've already started to compile a list of various short story and essay collections that would be perfect for the occasion. The Read-a-thon's the weekend before my birthday so the family's sure to humor me if I do decide to participate.

How about you? Are you participating in the Read-a-thon?

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:51 PM

    I am waffling. Like you I crash by 9 unless I am so jacked up on coffee I have the jitters. I probably won't decide until the last minute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys, it's ok to crash or take birdcage cleaning breaks! There's no jail time if you don't make it through all 24 hours. ;) Even though I'm secretly hoping that lots of giddy silliness happens in the wee hours, and I want to try to stay awake for that, I'm not even sure I'll make it through all 24 hours myself! Fortunately my husband is prepared to take over blog duties if I conk out. He does the 24 hour comics thing, so he knows he can make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm like you...tough time staying awake once the night rolls around. But this simply sounds like too much fun to pass up! Even if I end up nodding off at times. My sweetheart of a hubby is even hauling the kiddos off for the weekend...can't beat that, huh?
    I say you should go for it! Don't we all deserve a little decadence now and then?

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...