Thursday, October 25, 2007

Men can do nothing without the make-believe of a beginning. Even Science, the strict measurer, is obliged to start with a make-believe unit, and must fix on a point in the stars' unceasing journey when his sidereal clock shall pretend that time is at Nought. His less accurate grandmother Poetry has always been understood to start in the middle; but on reflection it appears that her proceeding is not very different from him; since Science, too, reckons backwards as well as forwards, divides his unit into billions, and with his clock-finger at Nought really sets off in medias res. No retrospect will take us to the true beginning; and whether our prologue be in heaven or on earth, it is but a fraction of that all-presupposing fact with which our story sets out.

--George Eliot

Wish me luck. I'm starting Daniel Deronda today.

16 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:40 AM

    I love Daniel Deronda. I'm reading it along with you since I need to re-read it for a paper this semester. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:52 PM

    Hmm, I just might join you as well. What edition are you reading?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:53 PM

    Oh, duh, you linked to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like those Modern Library paperbacks! :)

    Please do join me, Sylvia. I'm still on page one. Sarah, how far along are you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:58 PM

    I saw the Masterpiece Theater adaptation to this and thought it was really good. I bet the book is much better, though. I wish I could join in (it's one I'd love to read), but I need to work on my stack of already started books....and then there is the Lawrence that I need to get back to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I loved Daniel Deronda! Read it twice in fact. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:46 PM

    I'm just starting it again. I hope to finish a second read through within the next two weeks as I need to write a draft of my paper by Thanksgiving (although this is a personal deadline that I will fail at I'm sure).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:12 PM

    Ack! I can't get my paws on a copy. I might have to rush an order from Amazon (twist my rubber arm...).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tell you what. I'll read ever so slowly if you promise to order a copy TONIGHT.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:24 PM

    Done. I decided to go with the library--faster and cheaper! I'm sure I'll get my own copy eventually, though, because I love the story (I've seen the recent dramatization, which I love).

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad I'm going to have company!

    Sarah, I don't know if I'll manage to get it completed in two weeks, but I should be through in time to read your paper at Thanksgiving if you'd like to share it.

    I just placed DD on my Netflix list. Perhaps that will motivate me to watch the Netflix movie we've been ignoring for the last few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohhh! I was just about to start this one anyway. :) So I'll join in!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous7:51 PM

    I just got my copy from the library. Wheee!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't resist an invitation to read an Eliot novel.

    I'm joining you. We'll chat along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Red Room! Glad to have you.

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...