Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Eliot quotes

We sit up at night to read about Sakya-Mouni, Saint Francis, or Oliver Cromwell; but whether we should be glad for any one at all like them to call on us the next morning, still more, to reveal himself as a new relation, is quite another affair.

~~~

There is no escaping the fact that want of sympathy condemns us to a corresponding stupidity. Mephistopheles thrown upon real life, and obliged to manage his own plots, would inevitably make blunders.


--George Eliot

I think I'll have Daniel Deronda finished in another week. I've made it to Chapter LIV.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you.

    I'm on Chapter 22. I am really enjoying it, but I keep getting distracted by other books.

    I could have it finished in the next couple of weeks, but I somehow have a couple of new books on the UPS truck today (not sure how that happened).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:21 AM

    I am determined to finish David Copperfield, so I may not get back to Daniel D until after the holidays (I also have a partially read Wilkie Collins that I want to finish before the end of the year, too).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:25 PM

    I'm only on Chapter 27 but I'm getting used to her diction so it's going faster now (except for the occasional awkward, rambling paragraph-sentence).

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...