Sunday, November 04, 2007

No one can read Daniel Deronda without perceiving and regretting the singular way in which the characters are incessantly pushed back in order that the author may talk about them and about everything in heaven and earth while the action stands still.

--George Saintsbury, The Academy, September 9, 1876

Oh, I don't know about that. One of the things that I'm finding so pleasing about this book is in fact the narrator's sensibility and willingness to tell the reader her thoughts about the story and the characters therein.

A shout out to those of you reading Daniel Deronda--how are you doing? Are you as crazy over this book as I am? How far along are you? I've read the first 20 chapters and I'm wondering if I should take something else with me to the polls on Tuesday (if I'm too far ahead) or is I should start scrambling to catch up.

6 comments:

  1. I'm on chapter 6. I sat it down in favor of Gilead.

    I'm almost finished with Gilead, and then I'm planning on picking it back up. I've enjoyed it very much.

    I think I just wanted to have one of the books in my "From the Stacks" challenge finished - LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:20 PM

    I'm on chapter 13, and loving every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read this book! It's been on my list forever. Keep telling us about it--it will push me to start :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only read the first two chapters, but I have a feeling that by the end of the week, I'll be much, much farther in. And I agree with you; I love how Eliot talks to us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:44 AM

    I'm about five or six chapters in as well. I have set it aside temporarily to finish The Mysteries of Udolpho. I have about 150 pages to go and really want to finish it. I've enjoyed what I've read, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:26 AM

    I love 'Daniel Deronda" and wondered about including it in a new programme I'm drawing up (http://web.mac.com/ann163125/Table_Talk/Table_Talk_Blog/Entries/2007/11/5_____A_New_Reading_Group.html#) but wasn't certain how people who had read no Eliot before would cope. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...