Wednesday, May 14, 2008

So

I expected to be back to posting as soon as the primary was over, but I didn't count on how exhausted I would be for days afterwards. Or the lower back pain. We voted 896 people on the machines, had 54 provisional ballots cast, and stayed so busy that I didn't even have time to eat an entire bagel over the course of the day. If we don't get both more workers and more equipment in November--well, I don't want to even think about it.

And then I caught a cold, which after five days, still seems to be getting worse instead of better. L. thinks I should go to the doctor, but I'm going to give things another day.

And Something Major happened over the weekend, which will deserve its own post in a day or so--I'm waiting for photographic evidence.

I actually went a week without opening a book.

But on Monday I finished Don Robertson's The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread, a book I learned about via Bybee, who counts it as her all-time favorite, and yesterday I started three:
Elizabeth Strout's Olive Kitteredge, Lauren Liebenberg's The Voluptuous Delights of Peanut Butter and Jam, and Julie Hecht's latest story collection Happy Trails to You, which I downloaded to the Kindle immediately after spotting it on Amazon. I'm enjoying all three enormously after a spell of feeling rather "eh" about the books I picked up and I've arranged a shelf with all the ones I'd like to get through over the summer and I've paid my fines at the public library that had blocked me from placing holds there since last summer and I now have three books waiting to be picked up after I leave work this evening.

All I want to do this summer is read.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:15 AM

    Sorry you've caught a cold. I'm with L, if you aren't beginning to feel on the mend by tomorrow, see the doctor. There have been some nasty bugs going around this season.

    I'm curious to know what the something major was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. >>All I want to do this summer is read.<<

    Amen to that! :-) I hope you feel better soon.

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  3. These things happen all at once sometimes. Hope your cold is on the mend. I've got The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread on my list, too, thanks to Bybee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth Strout is an author I've been meaning to read. Amy and Isabel has been sitting on the shelf for years. She was one of four writers on titlepage.tv a couple of weeks ago (the online book show). Since she said that her new book completes a trilogy, it would make sense to go back and read the other two first. I'm curious to hear what you think of this new one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about your cold, and I'm sure you are exhausted after the primary. So, you definitely deserve to be able to spend your time reading this summer. If anyone asks, tell them you have permission. :) I had also heard Bybee talk about this book, but just recently I also read a negative review of it. So, now I'm intrigued and will probably have to find out for myself. I LOVED Olive Kitteridge. I'll be interested to know what you thought about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's all I want to do all summer, too! Are you enjoying your Kindle? We're finally really advertising them here in the library, so I am curious to see how popular they are. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:15 PM

    I hereby declare summer 08 the Year O' Reading...I'm in the exact same place.
    And I also recommend going to the doctor for your cold...mine ended up being bacterial and needed antibiotics. I agree with the poster above...the bugs out and about this year are NASTY and need some professional help.

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...