Tuesday, August 04, 2009

And the winners are. . .




I'm sure my first exposure to Andrew Jackson was via Johnny Horton's version of "The Battle of New Orleans," although, to tell you the truth, I was more interested in the alligator in the song than in Old Hickory himself. Before I went poking around youtube for either a clip by Horton or the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band to use, I'd not known that Dolly Parton had ever covered the song--and Dolly in period clothing makes tonight's drawing much more festive, don't you think?

I want to thank Kathleen McAuliffe at Random House and Dorothy Thompson at Pump Up Your Book Promotion for providing me with copies of Jon Meacham's American Lion to give away and for giving me a reason to ask everyone for their favorite historical biographies. I'll be posting the list of favorites tomorrow.

I was a little worried that Claudius would not enter into the proper spirit of the drawing--he's a highly suspicious cat and might well have concluded that folded slips of paper were to be avoided at all costs--but a little catnip helped, and he's on the floor continuing to roll on the losing entries as I type.

The winners are:

Sherry at Semicolon

and

Stephen at eskypades

Congratulations! I'll get the books in the mail as soon as you send me your mailing address.

4 comments:

  1. Andy Jackson--architypal anti-hero. A got a good chuckle hearing Dolly Parton singing about the old Indian killer.

    Really have noting of substance here, but your blog has kind of slipped under the radar. I followed a recent here link from Barking Dog and wanted to say how much I've enjoyed the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to the winners! By the way, you won a copy of Michelle de Kretser's The Lost Dog. :) Please email me your mailing address at dreamsongpoem at gmail dot com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:33 PM

    Hello,

    I sent my address information to pagesturned (at) carolina(dot)rr(dot)com, but haven't heard anything yet. Let me know if you need me to resend the info. Thanks again

    Stephen
    esky(at)juno(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved singing The Battle of New Orleans when I was in grade school. And I love Dolly. Two worlds colliding.

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...