Monday, January 04, 2010

I have heard that there is a library

"Then what do you do?"

"I sit at home, and--"

"Mend your stockings?"

"No, I don't do that, because it's disagreeable; but I do work a good deal. Sometimes I have amused myself by reading."

"Ah; they never do that here. I have heard that there is a library, but the clue to it has been lost, and nobody now knows the way. I don't believe in libraries. Nobody ever goes into a library to read, any more than you would into a larder to eat. But there is this difference;--the food you consume does come out of the larders, but the books you read never come out of the libraries."

"Except Mudies," said Alice.

"Ah, yes; he is the great librarian. . . ."

--Anthony Trollope, Can You Forgive Her?


rhapsodyinbooks said...

What a wonderful quote, and how true these days!

Mille Feuille said...

Trollope so often strikes a chord, doesn't he. I loved his autobiography, despite a general distrust of life writing as a genre.

I wanted to let you know that I've tagged you for the "One Lovely Blog" award. You can grab the award image from my post at

Happy reading!

citizenreader said...

I must get this. I "read" my first Trollope last year--listened to "The Way We Live Now" on tape--and ate it up with a spoon. Thanks for this reminder about him!

Stefanie said...

I really have to get around to reading Trollope.

Love the new banner by the way :)